Biden won’t save us / Keep it in the streets!
Article by Nathaniel Chase.
I counted 28 reasons in Nate’s article why Biden offers literally nothing the political left wants (direct quotations are Nate’s unless stated otherwise), and nothing that is in any way better than what Trump has to offer, and added some of my own.
- “From 2009 to 2017, while Biden was Barack Obama’s vice president, the U.S. deported more than 2.5 million undocumented migrants, more than had been deported during the entire 20th century. (abcnews.com, Aug. 29, 2016) Last November at a town hall event in Greenwood, S.C., a former undocumented migrant challenged Biden about his record of deportations. Biden’s response? “Vote for Trump.” Biden will not dismantle the very machine he helped build.” The facilities that Democrats have labeled “cages” were built by the Obama administration.
- “I do not support defunding the police.”–Joe Biden. Never mind that even moderates support this. Leftists call for police abolition.
- “Biden has engaged in a bit of doublespeak, opposing the deployment while also saying “anarchists should be prosecuted.” This statement criminalizes people for holding a particular political perspective, and offers a way for the ruling class to target its opponents as “anarchist” and arrest them. While condemning Trump, Biden actually endorses the principle of Trump’s policy.”
- Biden wrote the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act which increased mass incarceration, especially of minorities and the poor.
- Biden selected a prosecutor known for giving black people harsher sentences than white people for comparable crimes as his running mate. That she is black and Asian makes her actions all the worse.
- “Biden has not demanded resumption of the $600/week benefit, instead offering a vague program of “employment insurance.””
- Biden has not pushed for undocumented migrants to receive benefits.
- Biden voted in favor of dismantling Aid to Families with Dependent Children in 1996, replacing it with the reactionary Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (emphasis on the “temporary”).
- Biden has criticized Trump for being soft on China.
- Biden has criticized Trump for being soft on the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
- Biden supported the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
- Biden supported sanctions on Iran.
- Biden supported the U.S. coup attempts and sanctions against Venezuela.
- Biden is a Zionist, supporting the racist ethno-fascist state of Israel, opposing the human rights of the Palestinian people.
- Biden supported Bill Clinton’s “brutal regime of sanctions that were responsible for the deaths of more than 500,000 Iraqi children.”
- The Obama/Biden administration continued the war in Afghanistan.
- The Obama/Biden administration continued the war in Iraq.
- The Obama/Biden administration “backtracked on a campaign promise to close Guantanamo Bay.”
- The Obama/Biden administration “began a $1 trillion modernization of the U.S. nuclear weapon arsenal.”
- The Obama/Biden administration carried out a coup in Honduras, “creating migration crises that continue to this day.”
- The Obama/Biden administration carried out a coup in Libya, converting it “from the most prosperous country in Africa into a place where enslaved people were publicly auctioned off.”
- An April 24 poll in Newsweek shows that 69% of registered voters support Medicare for All, but Biden sides with Trump and the insurance companies in opposing it.
- Tara Reade is one of a number of women accusing Biden of sexual assault. The journalist who first publicized her complaint is the same journalist who first publicized Christine Blasey Ford’s complaint against Brett Kavanaugh. Partisan Democrats attacked his credibility as soon as he came for their guy after previously embracing him. In Biden’s own words, “If they believe Tara Reade, they probably shouldn’t vote for me.” Considering her mother brought it up to Larry King a couple of decades ago, it makes sense to believe her now. “Believe women when it’s convenient” would be the honest phrasing of partisan loyalists claiming to be feminists,
- Biden has been trying to cut social security for forty years.
- “Nothing would fundamentally change,” Biden said regarding his presidency at a Manhattan fundraiser in June.
- Biden praises white supremacists, for example, Senator James Eastland, who said, “What the people of this country must realize is that the white race is a superior race, and the Negro race is an inferior race.”
- “The loyalty of the Democratic Party is to the ruling class.”
- “The ever-worsening crisis of U.S. imperialism will not be addressed in the voting booth on Nov. 3.”
- Nate neglects to mention Biden’s direct involvement in the student loan crisis and his utter contempt for those whose degrees have not gotten them employment that enables them to pay back their loans.
- The Trump economy was a complete dumpster fire in terms of employment, with worse conditions than during the Bush recession of 2007-9, which officially ended during Obama’s first year but never really did.
I agree with Nate’s point that we need to rely on ourselves rather than Biden, organize, and fight the system. but it is also folly to ignore electoral politics (assuming that the election is not already rigged, which we have good reason to suspect that it is. The majority of registered, let alone eligible, voters did not vote in the 2016 election. “None of the above” is the true winner, but unless all those voters were to throw their support to a third party candidate, their voices will go unheard yet again.
I am not trying to argue that Hawkins is a perfect candidate for president. I wouldn’t even try to claim that I’m a “perfect” candidate for State Assembly because there is not such a thing.
Democrats lied to us in 2016, claiming that a vote for Stein was a vote for Trump, and, as I posted the other day, opposing democracy by trying to force Green candidates off the ballot, when literally the only measurable difference between Biden and Trump is that Biden sexually assaulted fewer people, at least of whom we know.
A vote for Biden is a vote for Trump. A vote for Hawkins is a vote for a probably-decent man who wrote an actual Green New Deal that Democrats co-opted in name only, running with a party with an excellent platform, and don’t let anyone tell you that it means you’re helping Trump, which has long ago been proven a canard.